Our family of five has been raising and training Shelties for over twenty years. We are convinced they are the sweetest, smartest, and most beautiful dogs you can find! We love chronicling the adorable antics of our Shetland Sheepdogs: capturing their personality, intelligence, humor, shenanigans, and of course fluffy, adorable PUPPIES! (Newest litter born 2/8/2013, ready to go home with you on April 5th!)
Thursday, September 1, 2011
All I Really Need to Know About Mothering I Learned From Our Shelties
• Wake everybody up with wet, sloppy kisses.
• Circle the house periodically to make sure your loved ones are all safe and accounted for.
• Go nuts if someone escapes the house without telling you.
• Hoard treats.
• Be gentle.
• Take naps.
• Listen intently (even if you don’t understand a word they’re saying).
• Make sure your bark (an upbeat attention-getter) is worse than your bite (gentle, playful).
• Herd the family into the kitchen for mealtimes and activities.
• Constantly look back over your shoulder to be sure they’re still following you.
• Tolerate LOTS of chaos and silliness.
• Good-naturedly allow everyone in the family to maul you to death
• When somebody wants to be with you, make them the center of your universe.
• Sit vigilantly and show concern when somebody’s sick.
• Run to the door with joy whenever somebody comes home.
• Alert everyone if there’s an unfamiliar intruder.
• Take advantage of every opportunity to snuggle.
• Play with the kids, indoors and out.
• Put up with lots of teasing and hyperactivity.
• Maintain a ready sense of adventure at all times.
• Give loved ones a luxuriant bedtime pedicure. :)
Most important of all:
If people forget about you, ignore you, tease you, leave you out, and maybe even step on your toes...